K V Sriram sriram at andhraelec.com
Tue Sep 15 05:05:01 UTC 2009

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 08:53:22 +0200
From: Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Fundamental limits on performance
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
	<time-nuts at febo.com>

>Mark Sims wrote:
> Oh,  yeah...  shaker tables... gotta love 'em.
>
> I once designed a couple of circuit boards for a rather critical
application that was going to take a LOT of pounding.   The mechanical guys
had great faith in their work.  I insisted to the >powers that be that the
unit had to be shake tested...  but they were not taking any of that from a
stupid EE.

> I finally had made such a pest of myself that they finally agreed to a
shake test.  The mechanical guys took their baby in and came back with a bag
of parts...  observers said screws and >>panels were flying like shrapnel.
Mechanical guys quit before they could be fired...

To what good? Wouldn't it be better if they stayed and learned? You build
experience by trying, failing and analyzing why... all three of them. You
can also learn by learning from others... so the trying, failing and
analyzing cycle doesn't have to turn as many rounds and be as expensive and
time-consuming... but you still need to do that.

It's the mindset of the organization and the people in it that is important.

Cheers,
Magnus

Magnus

Good Point!