[time-nuts] Fundamental limits on performance

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Sep 15 07:57:45 UTC 2009

>> I finally had made such a pest of myself that they finally agreed to a
>> shake test.  The mechanical guys took their baby in and came back with
>> a bag of parts...  observers said screws and panels were flying like
>> shrapnel.   Mechanical guys quit before they could be fired...

> To what good? Wouldn't it be better if they stayed and learned? You
> build experience by trying, failing and analyzing why... all three of
> them. You can also learn by learning from others... so the trying,
> failing and analyzing cycle doesn't have to turn as many rounds and be
>  as expensive and time-consuming... but you still need to do that.

> It's the mindset of the organization and the people in it that is
> important.

I think the point was that they had the wrong mindset.  They weren't
interested in testing their gear.  They probably weren't interested in
learning from their mistakes.

I can't tell how much of the blame belongs to management and how much belongs
to the mechanical guys.  There is probably plenty of fault in both.

This is getting off topic for time-nuts, except that I think the people who
make good nuts (of any flavor) are the curious ones.  They would like to see
what their design would do on a shake table.  If it was suggested, they would
help rather than drag their feet.