[time-nuts] RoHS Solder

Pieter ten Pierick time-nuts-mail at tenpierick.com
Fri Sep 25 14:03:21 UTC 2009

Hello,

> China have set up a pilot plant to extract Uraniun from coal fired power
> station ash. The concentration is the same as medium grade ore, but they
> don't have to mine it. If a US nuclear power station relased as much
> radiocative material as the average coal fired one it would be shut down!

There is the same strange thing with mercury:
According to this article in Popular Mechanics, if you factor in the
higher energy usage of an incandescent bulb, because of the mercury that
is released from a coal fired power station, even if you crush the
CFL at EOL, the total value would be much less for the CFL!
(And of course, we all dispose of those nasty mercury containing CFLs
properly,
don't we?)

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/home_journal_news/4217864.html

Greetings,