[time-nuts] DC-DC converter

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Sep 26 14:39:43 UTC 2009

On 9/25/09 11:23 PM, "Ed Palmer" <ed_palmer at sasktel.net> wrote:

> Have you checked our favorite auction site?  I saw some there by
> searching for '12v 48v converter'.  Wade through the ones that are 48V
> -> 12V and there are a few that look interesting.  One in particular
> from Vicor looked quite attractive.
>
> Ed
I think he was looking for 12V to 48V, which is substantially less common.
48V to whatever is quite common, since 48V is a standard DC bus voltage.

Of course, another problem is that the Z3801A doesn't use 48V. It takes more
voltage, from K8CU's site: The Z3801A is specified by HP (depending upon
model) as  either a nominal minus 54 or plus 27 volt device. The best bet
is to keep the voltage at the nominal value specified by HP.  This way any
out of specification internal DC to DC converters  are satisfied, and the
units will perform normally. Reports  from other users confirm this.

Mouser and Digikey both have a ton of DC/DC bricks with isolated inputs and
outputs. You can series the outputs (make sure you've got load resistors on
each one, and perhaps some diodes)