[time-nuts] DC-DC converter

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Sat Sep 26 17:12:36 UTC 2009

I know what he was looking for, Jim.  That's why I said 'wade through
the 48V -> 12V models' - so he could get to the less common 12V -> 48V
models that he wanted.  I should have made that clear.  :-)

Telecom equipment is always spec'ed for ~54 volts.  The battery strings
consist of 24 (occasionally 25!) cells.  To keep them healthy over their
20 - 25 year warranty period (!), they are occasionally given an
equalize charge which can push the voltage up to ~56 volts.  Of course,
during an extended AC power failure, the voltage can drop well below 48V
so the equipment has to function under those conditions as well.

Ed