[time-nuts] GPS with PPS

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Sep 30 23:55:08 UTC 2009

Joe,

Joseph Gray wrote:
> Magnus,
>
> Thanks for the explaination. I forgot about ionispheric latency
> effects. I'll look for the book you mentioned.

I think there is two books one should get:

Elliot D. Kaplan & Christopher J. Hegarty, "Understanding GPS;
Principles and Applications; Second edition", Artech House, ISBN
1-58053-894-0.

This book covers the field in such a way that you get a good feel for
it. It covers sufficiently many details such that you with that book and
the ICD-GPS-200 can actually implement a receiver.

Pratap Misra & Per Enge, "Global Positioning System; Signals,
Measurements, and Performance; Second Edition", Ganga-Jamuna Press, ISBN
0-9709544-1-7.

This book is better at concepts, details and certain in-depths of the
more advanced fields. The exercises at the end of each chapter makes it
better adapted for a coarse. This complements the Kaplan&Hegarty in the
theoretical field and issues relating to precission tracking.

As an example in the difference of approaches. While Misra&Enge provides
details analysis of tracking properties of a typical DLL layout,
Kaplan%Hegarty provides a good overview of topologies, their properties
and also cook-book like formulas for how to parameterize FLL and PLL
loops. Thus, the Kaplan&Hegarty is more practical while Misra&Enge is
more theoretical. I just happend to see both approaches as sound.

The recent discussion on teoretical limits for a MPS takes not that much
space in Kaplan&Hegarty to describe the concepts and calculations while
Misra&Enge devotes Chapter 10 to the topic. The antenna pattern view in
Kaplan%Hegarty is missing in the Misra&Enge, even if they attempt to say
the same thing. Hmm... the antenna plot is in the old Kaplan book, which
I also have. Anyway, the plot of gain vs. elevation is still there.

However, if you want to really understand the field, a couple of more
books should be on the bookshelf. But these should get most people where
they want to be on understanding GPS and indeed other similar GNSS
systems and their various augmentation variants.

NavtechGPS.com should be a good source. They have a good selection of books.

Cheers,
Magnus