[time-nuts] radioactive decay rates change?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Aug 24 06:43:36 UTC 2010

On 08/24/2010 12:16 AM, Chris Howard wrote:

> http://news.stanford.edu/news/2010/august/sun-082310.html
>
> "It's a mystery that presented itself unexpectedly: The radioactive
> decay of some elements sitting quietly in laboratories on Earth seemed
> to be influenced by activities inside the sun, 93 million miles away."
>
> Any implication for CS clocks?

Way to early to tell. Remember that CS clocks does not use the
radioactive isotope of Cesium. It uses the outer electron of the Cesium
atoms and the hyper-fine energy-levels. However, the magnetic coupling
is both known and explicitly used.

Whatever the mechanism is, it will affect the nucleus state one way or
another, and it would not be too far-fetched that we could see the same
effect on atomic clocks as the nucleus state is part of the equation for
hypefine levels. If there is an effect and to what degree would take
many years of research to fine out.

Cheers,
Magnus