[time-nuts] [OT] Agilent 54845A attenuator maintenance / repair?

Peter Loron peterl at standingwave.org
Sun Feb 7 08:24:43 UTC 2010

I have an Agilent 54845A that I'm trying to bring back from the dead. It is now booting normally (motherboard replacement). Most things seem to work, and the self-tests pass, except that the "Test Attenuator Contacts" yields a warning.

When I look at input (a 19.44MHz xtal in this case), input #1 is good, except that the horizontal displacement of the trace flickers occasionally. On the other three inputs, the trace jumps around horizontally. Video of the display is here:       http://standingwave.org/54845a.m4v

The Autoscale function does not find a signal.

I'm guessing that there is some failure in the attenuator(s). I'm also guessing that Agilent probably doesn't have replacements and even if they did, it would be crazy expensive.

Are these things possibly repairable/adjustable? If so can anybody point me to info on theory/practice for the repair?

Any other info / suggestions highly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Pete