[time-nuts] Frequency comparison

Stan, W1LE stanw1le at verizon.net
Sun Feb 7 15:41:29 UTC 2010

Hello Raj,

Welcome to the Net.

Watching waveshapes on a Oscilloscope and comparing drifts can be
interesting for a few days.
Then it is like watching then grass grow.

Alternative methods can show frequency difference much easier.

Consider the TRACOR model 527E frequency difference meter, obsolete but
still available on Ebay.
This instrument will compare 2 reference  sources, your Rb and the GPSDO
and uses an
analog or a digital meter to display the difference to 1 part in 10**11

Consider a modern LORAN C receiver like the Stanford Research Systems
model FS700
to compare the Cs reference at the LORAN C transmitter station to your
local references.

Consider the AUSTRON model 2200 LORAN C Timing receiver  or the 2200F
Frequency Monitor.
For comparison of the Cs reference at the LORAN C transmitter to your
local references.

Making this comparison between a local LORAN C, Cs based reference, and
a GPSDO
will show the GPSDO to vary between 10**9 thru 10**13 in the short term.
The LORAN C receivers can show the frequency difference as a numerical
value on the display.
That drift was informative to watch.

Your equipment needs really depend on the accuracies you need/desire.

Probably the next big step is to get a working Cs reference to calibrate
your Rb.

Here in the US, LORAN-C is obsolete and will be terminated this year,
some southerly TX stations earlier, some later.

Lotsa LORAN C equipment may become available on Ebay or at other auctions.

My records show LORAN C available from Saudi Arabia easterly thru to the
Phillipines.
I have not heard any word on their longevity.

Please be careful, chasing frequency accuracy can be an expensive obsession.

Stan, W1LE     Cape Cod     FN41sr