[time-nuts] Advice on 10 MHz isolation/distribution (Clay)

life speed life_speed at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 12 00:51:45 UTC 2010

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:12:29 +1300
From: Bruce Griffiths <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz>
The output (collectors of Q5, Q6 emitter of Q4) of the input amplifier
sets the dc voltage at the inputs ( Q1 base, Q7 base respectively) of
the output amplifiers.

The circuit consists of a unity gain input amplifier (Q4, Q5, Q6) that
drives a pair of output amplifiers (Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q7, Q8, Q9
respectively) each with a gain of 2x (6dB).
The input amplifier is essentially a white emitter follower with a
complementary symmetry output stage (shown in transistor electronics
books from the 1960's) where an input CE transistor drives a
complementary pair of CE transistors with feedback from the common
collectors of the 2 output transistors to the input transistor emitter.
In effect its merely a very simple unity gain opamp. Its usually best to
ensure that the CE output stage pair provide the dominant open loop
pole. Using a higher ft (2 to 3x)  input transistor than the output pair
is the usual way of ensuring this.

Well, it is so obvious now that you explained it.  I had forgot about the need for one of the stages to set the dominant pole.

Thanks Bruce and Bob for sharing your obsession with frequency controls.  I'll simulate this further, and have a prototype PCB built within the next few weeks.  I did notice the resistor at the base of Q2,5,8 is responsible for significant noise.  I'll have to be careful with the bias circuit.

Have to get busy for now, but I will report back with results.

Best regards,

Clay