[time-nuts] Jupiter GPSDO

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 12 08:14:36 UTC 2010

Hi Ashley,
I've not built the G3RUH system but am aware of it and have used Jupiter GPSs in the past.  It would be useful,but not essential, to know exacty which jjuiter model you have and what you want/need a GPSDO for.
In order of your questions,

Yes (not me)

OK, the 10kHz output makes the task look easier, but there are issues as it's only corrected once a second.

You need a pin to pin serial cable (at least pins 2, 3 & 5 connected) Between the board and the PC's serial port. Your PC does have a serial port?

Basically yes. To see if the GPS is OK you need to motior the data output. A PC with NMEARead, NMEATime or similar software is the easiest way of doing this.

The Trimble antenna should be OK as long it's a 5V model. Newer antennas may be 3.3V.

I'd recommend resetting the Jupiter and performing a "cold start" unless you know it's correctly configured and working.

If you are on planet earth and have a clear view of the sky to a resonable angle in all directions you should be able to see satellites. NMEARead If you want a sanity check, borrow a portable GPS (TomTom, Garmin, iPhone) and see if they give a good position. The NMEA software will show you which satellites are being received.

The G3RUH info is a bit thin. Have you read the Jupiter manual (available online, Google it)?
I think you need to get happy with GPS before worrying about the GPSDO.
Yes the GPS thing is worth it if you need precise time and or frequency.

Robert G8RPI.