[time-nuts] Hands on digital clock

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 17 01:10:24 UTC 2010

About 2 hrs on the Metro and COTRAL bus.  Big difference between getting the "local" and the "express" bus. The colder temperature is an advantage in the summer, when Rome is hot. That's why Hadrian built his palace up there, and later Pope Ippolito(?) did too.

> Hmm... fluidistor counter, BCD decoder feeding small sprinklers for
> "fluid-digital" display? PPS electrical input controlling a single
> electrical-to-air-burst conversion. GPS-controlled of-course. :) Should
> be possible to implement. :)

Something like a pps (or ppminute) to "tipping bucket" to dump quanta of water into the clock is what I was thinking.  Of course, a more sophisticated approach would be to use the pps to "discipline" a more conventional (as in what the Greeks used) continuous flow regulator (i.e. a constant level in a container and a small hole). You'd need to compensate for temperature effects on the orifice size and the viscosity of the water (maybe there's a clever way to self compensate? You want the hole bigger as it gets colder, because the water gets more viscous (in an exponential relationship, I think), otoh, it depends if your clepsydra is mass or volume driven)