[time-nuts] Achieving maximum performance when driving 5370A/Binputs

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Sun Feb 28 22:40:04 UTC 2010

Don Latham wrote:
> I've fixed shafts like this carefully with plastic swizzle sticks and
> super glue. Did I say carefully? a little dab'll do ya...
> Don

It is a tricky business. The 5370A I got a while back, had what was left
of the shaft glued into the bushing by an earlier repair attempt. The
shaft plastic is not one that fuses easily (polyethylene maybe). I
managed to repair mine, but the process I used took many hours and I
wouldn't recommend it. I removed the pot and was able to disassemble it.
I then drilled a very small hole down the center axis of the shaft and
used a section of very small screw rod to reinforce the joint. That
combined with glue has held up so far. For the repair, I made a tool to
align the drill to the shaft. The pot is not intended to come apart and
is small. An evil job.

I thought the 5370B had gone to a steel-shaft version of these pots.
Maybe it depends on vintage.