[time-nuts] ABC time signals in Tasmania/Australia wrong

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jan 3 21:29:45 UTC 2010

> If the TV station was transmitting digital and they were passing a
> network signal, a 5 second delay is possible.

[snip long list of places where delays happen]

> With all of the processing, encoding and decoding of the digital
> signal, a 5 second delay is not unheard of.

5 seconds is a long time.

How much is the typical encoding or decoding delay?

Speed of light delays are 1/ft per nanosecond.  Slow coax is half as fast
(twice as long for the same distance).  At worst, that's 10 microseconds per
mile or 10 ms per 1,000 miles.  That's not in the right ballpark for adding
up to a second.

Lets look at it another way.  TV is 30 frames per second.  So 5 seconds is
150 frames.  What sort of processing adds up to 150 frames?