[time-nuts] Galvanic decoupling of GPS antenna

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 18 14:23:57 UTC 2010

Robert Benward wrote:
> I don't think the shield is rated for +/-250V, and I'm not sure I would
> want to handle RG-58 with 250V on the shield.    If you do this, use
> triax cable and ground the outter shield, and make sure the breaker can
> interrupt the fault current (if the fault currrent is in the hundreds,
> or even tens of Amps then this would not be a good idea).
>
> Bob

Sure it is.. It's almost certainly rated to 300V (most all wire is), and
probably higher.  Recalling that RG-58 doesn't really describe a
specific kind of cable or construction (especially these days.. what you
get is "RG-58 type")

But looking at the data sheet for Belden 9310 (the first RG-58 that
popped up on Belden's website), I see a max operating voltage of 1400V
(and the 50V rating as well.. for UL uses, but that's a sort of bogus
number, designed to fit in a particular regulatory category.. kind of
like ICs with TID limits of 300kRad, the limit for non-export controlled
datasheets)