[time-nuts] crystal oscillators & TPLL

Gerard PG5G pg5g at b737.co.uk
Fri Jun 25 21:46:12 UTC 2010


Warren,

I couldn't care less whether your or any method works or not. I have no 
vested interest or opinion whatsoever.

I can say however that in the short time I have been on this list I have 
grown very tired of the way you hijack any thread that comes along.

Most people who think they have something that is better than ANYTHING 
done before have one of two motives: fame or fortune.

If you are after fame, build one of your TPPL thingies, test it (or 
better yet, have it tested) and submit results to a peer reviewed 
magazine. Glory will be yours.

If you are after fortune, build one of your TPPL thingies, test it (or 
better yet, have it tested), manufacture it, sell it. Money will be yours.

So I guess what I am trying to say is: build one of your TPPL thingies 
and have it tested.

I wish you either or both, fame and/or money. I honestly do. However, 
until you have decided what you want out of this and how to go about it, 
please leave us alone.

Thank you.

SK PG5G


WarrenS wrote:
>
> Charles Posted a bunch of stuff (below),
>
> Most think I should just ignore him, but I can not help myself,
> he has after all made this one just too easy and silly not to respond to.
>
> I hope Charles did not consider this to be just another "good example" 
> of all the 'constructive helpful criticism' I've received.
>
>> His childish tantrums, insults, and outlandish claims are his and his 
>> alone.
> Funny, I have to wonder if maybe Charles was just reading and 
> referring to his own posting.
> Charles's past and latest posting does show that he has several 
> problems, both technical as well as emotionally.
> Don't we all?, It is just that most have the good sense and taste not 
> to make them so public.
> Sounds to me that he is someone that does need a lot of help, but 
> certainly not the kind of help I can give.
>
> Some of the more ironic things, I find in the latest 'attack facts' is 
> his statement: [paraphrased]
>
>> [Warren does not understand that all the name calling and insults and 
>> attacks have been fair attempts by professional engineers to 
>> understand Warren's TPLL implementation]
>> so that they can TRY to ascertain to what degree the TPLL is likely 
>> to provide useful results over a broader range of conditions than 
>> those that have been publicly demonstrated.
>
> 1) why would a professional engineer have to resort to attacks in a 
> fair attempt to understand something so simple or so old and basic?
>
> 2) why would the professional engineers need to have more information, 
> when everything that is needed is already on John's site?
> especially if AS CLAMED over and over, they are asking to get this 
> information from someone that does not even know what he is doing.
>
> 3) Just how much broader range do they want or need than has already 
> been publicly demonstrated, that it works good enough from near DC to 
> 100Hz for every device and noise type it has been tested WITH NO 
> exceptions (limited only by the controlled OCXO).
>
> There are some things that I do not Understand, Such as:
>
> I do not understand, Nor do I really care, what part of this Charles 
> does not understand.
> I will not let his or others shortcoming and non-understandings be MY 
> problem
>
> Also posted:
>> I know [some] have said more than once that we should just ignore 
>> "the femtosecond thing," but why?
>> (Not that anything turns on this one claim anyway)
>
> Just because of Charles's and others own non-understandings and 
> limitations,
> why one would then feel it is MY reasonability to try and educate 
> someone like that is way beyond my understanding.
> but
>
> I'll try again to comment on the femto second thing, since some seem 
> to be hung up on that part most of all.
> In order to work good (which no one seems to be denying any more), the 
> TPLL method has to hold the two Oscillator's phase differences real, 
> real close OVER the Bandwidth of interest.
> Anyone that can understand what limits a noise floor plot, can see 
> that the phase differences are being held to about 10 fs at 100 Hz, 
> from the data posted on John's site.
>
> Anyone that can do simple math and has a vary basic understanding of 
> the TPLLs could calculate for their self with the BW information given 
> in John's site,
> that the TPLL is "trying" to hold the phase difference over the 
> Bandwidth of interest from DC to 1 KHz  down to single digit 
> Femtoseconds varation for low noise oscillators.
> If you do not have a favorite Phase detector to use, can use the 
> mini-Circuits SYPD-1 for you calculations,  (or any other),
>
> A little less obvious but still very easy to calculate with simple 
> math (OK, just a little harder than 2+2, but not by too much),
> is that the noise floor limit of a good low noise AMP can give about 1 
> fs of phase differences between the two Oscillators OVER the Bandwidth 
> of importance.
> If you do not have a favorite low noise op amp to use, one can use the 
> op-27 for their calculations,  (or many others),
>
> If Charles or anyone would like to do and post the SIMPLE math to show 
> that ANY of femtosecond stuff above is not true,
> and their answer turns out to be different than mine, I'd be more than 
> willing to show what they did wrong or different than me.
>
> The fact that Charles and others seem to be confusing 10 MHz Phase 
> jitter with 100 Hz and below bandwidth limited Phase differences do
> show they have a few major things missing  in their  understanding 
> about what ADEV is and how it is a frequency stability value over a 
> limited time and Bandwidth called tau.
>
> Also if anyone still thinks they can make a reasonable data set file 
> that shows where the TPLL will mess up, Go for it.
> I'm still willing to try and prove to all that will NOT EVER be the case.
> OR is it still OK for some expert to make an unsubstantiated and false 
> clam that would be easy to prove wrong given a chance,
> If they just reference some paper that has meaningless information 
> because it does not apply to this method.
>
> ws
> *********************
> *********************
> [time-nuts] crystal oscillators & TPLL
> Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
> Fri Jun 25 07:05:59 UTC 2010
>
> Steve wrote:
>
>> I agree with what you say and really wish we could move forward
>> with this. The only thing that is preventing this happening is the
>> expected reaction that will occur when/if that information is ever
>> released. Unfortunately the concept of constructive criticism is an
>> anathema to some members of this list and this is the blockage.
>
> I must disagree.  I suppose it's good for Warren to have an
> apologist, but you are simply not getting the facts right.  Warren
> seems to be unable to deal with constructive criticism.
>
> What you characterize as attacks by "arrogant naysayers" (and as
> professional engineers looking down on amateur engineers) has, to my
> reading, been a fair attempt by other listmembers to understand
> Warren's TPLL implementation so that they can try to ascertain to
> what degree it is likely to provide useful results over a broader
> range of conditions than those that have been publicly
> demonstrated.  As we have asked for more details so we can try to do
> this, Warren has responded in every case -- every case -- with vague
> allusions to details of his implementation and testing he has done,
> childish accusations that nobody understands anything and we all must
> think he can't add two and two, followed by more and more outlandish
> claims about what his device does (for just one example, "the simple
> analog TPLL method holds the Phase difference [between the reference
> and test oscillators] to zero (with-in 1 femtosecond)" -- Wed, 9 Jun
> 2010 21:05:57 -0700), which (i) cannot be true and (ii) appear to
> demonstrate that Warren not only has not tested at least some of the
> things that he is claiming, but seems not to understand much of the
> basic subject matter.  Warren has had more than ample opportunity to
> answer any criticism by saying calmly that he did "a" (with a decent
> explanation of what "a" is) and got "x" result, and similarly with
> "b" and "y," "c" and "z," etc., but he has not once done so.  One
> might reasonably conclude after all of the smokescreens and refusals
> that he has not, in fact, done any of the things to which he has
> vaguely alluded.
>
> I know you have said more than once that we should just ignore "the
> femtosecond thing," but why?  (Not that anything turns on this one
> claim anyway -- there are plenty of others like it.)  You yourself
> called it into question (Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:05:26 +1200).  It is a
> claim Warren made, and very specifically -- not that a femtosecond is
> the resolution of the test method stated in units of time (which
> others have advanced to try to explain what he meant), but that his
> PLL locks two 10 MHz oscillators to within one femtosecond of each
> other and that he has verified this in several ways.  If Warren
> claims this thing (and numerous others that can easily be found in
> the voluminous record) that must be mistaken (or worse), what else
> that he has claimed can we trust?  When you read the posts and make
> the inferences that Warren's statements invite (in many cases,
> seemingly inescapably), it appears that the only trustworthy
> information we have about the operation of Warren's TPLL is what John
> published -- which indicates that the method has promise -- perhaps
> even considerable promise -- but is far from the proof Warren seems
> to think it is that his device fulfills all of his claims or has been
> characterized to the point that others can predict under what
> conditions they can rely on it.
>
> So, please, don't make Warren out as the poor, well-meaning basement
> inventor being bashed by the "professionals."  His childish tantrums,
> insults, and outlandish claims are his and his alone.  Even if we
> assume for the sake of argument that he was hard done by (which I do
> not believe is true), that would not excuse his responses.  It would
> have been one thing to say, "Hey, I put this together and it seems to
> work pretty well" and leave it at that, but that is not what Warren did.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Charles
>
> _______________________________________________
> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts at febo.com
> To unsubscribe, go to 
> https://www.febo.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts
> and follow the instructions there.
>




More information about the time-nuts mailing list