[time-nuts] crystal oscillators & TPLL

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 13:21:23 UTC 2010

Gerard,

On 26 June 2010 09:46, Gerard PG5G <pg5g at b737.co.uk> wrote:
> Warren,
>
> I couldn't care less whether your or any method works or not. I have no
> vested interest or opinion whatsoever.

Well, if your not interested in this, why are you bothering us by your
opinions. Perhaps *you* should "leave us alone" unless you have
something useful to say.

> I can say however that in the short time I have been on this list I have
> grown very tired of the way you hijack any thread that comes along.

I wasn't aware that Warren was hijacking "any thread", he has only
been commenting on the TPLL thread that he started a long time back
now.

> Most people who think they have something that is better than ANYTHING done
> before have one of two motives: fame or fortune.

Or wishing to gift something to the community.

> If you are after fame, build one of your TPPL thingies, test it (or better
> yet, have it tested) and submit results to a peer reviewed magazine. Glory
> will be yours.

He has done that here.

> If you are after fortune, build one of your TPPL thingies, test it (or
> better yet, have it tested), manufacture it, sell it. Money will be yours.

He is not interested in fortune, well not per say.

> So I guess what I am trying to say is: build one of your TPPL thingies and
> have it tested.

He already has had this done by a third pay on this list and the
results have been published. Please would you like to review the
archives of this group before you wade in like this.

> I wish you either or both, fame and/or money. I honestly do. However, until
> you have decided what you want out of this and how to go about it, please
> leave us alone.

Well that is very polite coming from someone who has only been here
for a self proclaimed "short time". Perhaps you would like to sit this
one out and just hit Del whenever you see any of the postings on this
subject.

Thank you,
Steve - ZL3TUV & G8KVD

> [...]
>> this, Warren has responded in every case -- every case -- with vague
>> allusions to details of his implementation and testing he has done,
>> childish accusations that nobody understands anything and we all must
>> think he can't add two and two, followed by more and more outlandish
>> claims about what his device does (for just one example, "the simple
>> analog TPLL method holds the Phase difference [between the reference
>> and test oscillators] to zero (with-in 1 femtosecond)" -- Wed, 9 Jun
>> 2010 21:05:57 -0700), which (i) cannot be true and (ii) appear to
>> demonstrate that Warren not only has not tested at least some of the
>> things that he is claiming, but seems not to understand much of the
>> basic subject matter.  Warren has had more than ample opportunity to
>> answer any criticism by saying calmly that he did "a" (with a decent
>> explanation of what "a" is) and got "x" result, and similarly with
>> "b" and "y," "c" and "z," etc., but he has not once done so.  One
>> might reasonably conclude after all of the smokescreens and refusals
>> that he has not, in fact, done any of the things to which he has
>> vaguely alluded.
>>
>> I know you have said more than once that we should just ignore "the
>> femtosecond thing," but why?  (Not that anything turns on this one
>> claim anyway -- there are plenty of others like it.)  You yourself
>> called it into question (Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:05:26 +1200).  It is a
>> claim Warren made, and very specifically -- not that a femtosecond is
>> the resolution of the test method stated in units of time (which
>> others have advanced to try to explain what he meant), but that his
>> PLL locks two 10 MHz oscillators to within one femtosecond of each
>> other and that he has verified this in several ways.  If Warren
>> claims this thing (and numerous others that can easily be found in
>> the voluminous record) that must be mistaken (or worse), what else
>> that he has claimed can we trust?  When you read the posts and make
>> the inferences that Warren's statements invite (in many cases,
>> seemingly inescapably), it appears that the only trustworthy
>> information we have about the operation of Warren's TPLL is what John
>> published -- which indicates that the method has promise -- perhaps
>> even considerable promise -- but is far from the proof Warren seems
>> to think it is that his device fulfills all of his claims or has been
>> characterized to the point that others can predict under what
>> conditions they can rely on it.
>>
>> So, please, don't make Warren out as the poor, well-meaning basement
>> inventor being bashed by the "professionals."  His childish tantrums,
>> insults, and outlandish claims are his and his alone.  Even if we
>> assume for the sake of argument that he was hard done by (which I do
>> not believe is true), that would not excuse his responses.  It would
>> have been one thing to say, "Hey, I put this together and it seems to
>> work pretty well" and leave it at that, but that is not what Warren did.

Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.
- Einstein