[time-nuts] HP 5372A Fan

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Mar 10 12:56:14 UTC 2010

Mike S wrote:
> At 12:44 AM 3/10/2010, Ed Palmer wrote...
>
>> It would seem to make more sense to have the fan blowing hot air out
>> the back and drawing the hot inside air over the temperature sensor.
>
> The reason to have a fan blow in is so you can put a filter on it. It
> also creates more turbulence inside the box, for more effective heat
> removal.

You want to collect dust before it comes into the electronics, yes.

I have never had a problem with hot air blowing at me in front of a
HP5372A, and I have spent many ours in front of one.

The HP5372A has many good places for venting air, even if the air-tunnel
effect is far from optimum, but kind of typical for its age.

I have yet not found an instrument that fully replaces it either even if
several outperform it in resolution (200 ps) and memory-depth (8192
time-stamps can be stored).

Cheers,
Magnus