[time-nuts] Divider pecking order ?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Mar 22 01:48:54 UTC 2010

Tom Van Baak wrote:
>>> The TSC5120A allows phase noise measurements on signals with
>>> frequencies down to 1MHz.
>>> Classical diode mixer based systems can go somewhat lower in frequency.
>> You should realize that I have reasons to believe that the limit is
>> one of software parameters rather than anything else.
>>
>> Lacking a TSC5120A or sufficiently similar in my lab...
>
> I'll use a 5120A for 10M to 5M or 2.5M or 1M cases.
Mostly 10 MHz and 5 MHz sources would be tested.
> Below that I'm in the same situation as you, with the usual
> lab assortment of HP, SRS, Wavecrest, and Pendulum TI
> counters. I have logging for all of them; except Wavecrest
> but Said has experience with that noisy beast and is already
> helping me out (Thanks!).
I would be interested in whatever you come up with. My logging is at the
unacceptable level. The Pendulum I can log with their software.

A partial GPIB-network spans the backside of the workbench, but it needs
rewiring and more wires.

My preferred platform is however Linux and in particular Debian. Just to
keep things a bit interesting.

Cheers,
Magnus