[time-nuts] OT - New Mexico travel and the VLA

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Tue Mar 23 23:26:57 UTC 2010

> When in Las Cruces, go to Ranchway on Valley Drive (just south of
> Picacho). It is my favorite Mexican food restaurant. Their chile is
> not hot. They have a wide menu selection (including a few
> non-traditional items) and good prices. They also have excellent
> barbecue. It's a nice little family run place and has been around
> since the 70's.
>
> We no longer have any decent Italian restaurants in town. For
> Mediteranian, try International Delights or Tiffany's.
>
> For the franchises, there is Chile's, Applebee's and Red Lobster.
> Sadly, no Olive Garden yet.
>
> I haven't been to the VLA in years, but my understanding is that the
> "real" tour that shows you all the neat stuff isn't offered to regular
> tourists.

I was a finalist at the International Science and Engineering Fair in '83,
held in Albuquerque.  They arranged intimate tours of Kirtland AFB (which
was ramping up Star Wars work on their Cray-1), some laser work being done
at Sandia Labs, and the Socorro VLA site.  Pretty much a life-changing, if
not life-defining, experience, for a 14-year-old kid from the sticks.

So, yeah... if you know somebody at any of those places who can get you past
the locked doors, you want to bug them until they agree to do it.

-- john, KE5FX