[time-nuts] Digital tight PLL method

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Wed May 26 08:42:28 UTC 2010

Warren,

you are not the only person to have ideas like this!

I managed to get me a Stanford Research DS345 generator which gives 1E-6 Hz
frequency resolution for any frequency below 30 MHz (Can be locked to any 10
MHz reference). At 10 MHz this resembles a relative resolution of 1E-13. I
used this generator in a digital pll where the phase error was measured by a
DBM and a a HP3457. The digital PLL was a simple script written with my
EZGPIB utility which controlled the DS345 and read the HP3457 via IEEE488.
The main difference to your analogue solution is that it delivers a
frequency measurement value immediately (= the current setting of the DS345)
without any knowledge needed about the mixer's phase gain properties. And it
is not limited to a certain frequency. Of course, the generator may be
exchanged by an DIY DDS and the multimeter may be exchanged against a DIY
A/D converter. Injection locking is not a topic with the DDS circuit.

Nevertheless my measurement were not exactly encouraging. May be that I
missed to apply the important math that Bruce has been suggesting in the
discussion with you. All the stuff is on my workbench and is ready to use.
May be I give it another try.

Best regards
Ulrich Bangert