[time-nuts] WWVB 60 kHz Loop Antenna Progress

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Oct 19 23:16:52 UTC 2010

On 10/19/2010 11:59 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> Also consider that there is a maximum practical Q for a rod antenna. Past a certain point the Q goes up because the flux is better contained. For an antenna to work, the flux can't be fully contained. Simply put, a toroid or pot core will make a very high Q inductor. Both make really lousy antennas.

I think he really ment that since it is a high Q, the selected bandwidth
will be narrow so keeping it tuned to the intended frequency becomes an
issue. Looking at sidebands and tune a varicap should not be too hard.
Not much different than tuning an OCXO to a rubidium resonance.

But then again, avoid the issue and go for a black hole antenna
amplifier. The benefit of a lower Q resonance is more stable phase and
group-dela.

Cheers,
Magnus