[time-nuts] Maintaining boatanchors (was Capacitor Failures)

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sat Oct 23 16:21:25 UTC 2010

Hi

Like it or not, most of this gear is interesting to us because we "knew it" when it was brand new. Either we had one or wanted one. As time marches on, the memory of most of this gear will fade. My guess is that a lot of these instruments will still be working fine long after anybody who's still alive wants to use them.

Yes indeed I do still have some test gear (and quite a bit of radio gear) that has tubes in it. Based on buying and selling a lot of it over the years, I'm guessing that the tube based test gear would not sell for a lot these days. The same principle (to big, to ugly,  not cool enough, to weird) will continue to apply as time marches on.

I'm by no means saying any of that's right, or that I like the situation. It is indeed the way the world seems to work....

Bob