[time-nuts] Maintaining boatanchors (was Capacitor Failures)

pete brown ogoun at lycos.com
Mon Oct 25 02:52:53 UTC 2010

   Hi all,
   My first post, so I'm not sure how this will go...
   > I've found engineers tend to be squirrels. A number of times they've
   said
   > to me "I'll look in my files". They will often either scan it for me
   or
   > let me borrow the original informally so I can Xerox it locally.
   > IMO, going through Sales or making an "official" request costs a
   bunch and
   > ir rarely successful. It's also worth asking "do you remember any
   major
   > customers of this unit?>"
   > -John
   I am in exactly this situation at the moment. I need to maintain/repair
   an older thermal imager, and the manufacturer has
   discontinued all support for it. Luckily, I have found a very helpful
   chap, who has literally had to wander out to the deep recesses
   of an old warehouse to try to find the box that the info might be in.
   He has gone WAY beyond the call of duty, spending days
   trying to find this info, for no real reward (we aren't a big customer
   of theirs, and are unlikely to ever be).
   It is very rare to find this level of dedication these days. Mostly,
   it's just "Sorry, that model is completely discontinued. Didn't
   you see the end of support notice on our website?"
   Cheers,
   Pete.
   PS, and OT: Anyone have any tech info on the older Agema scanning
   thermal imagers?