[time-nuts] Maser manual

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Thu Sep 2 03:03:47 UTC 2010

What was wrong with the original oscillator, out of curiosity?  I'm
troubleshooting the lamp exciter in my 5065A right now, and the circuit is
the same basic series-tuned Colpitts design as the one on page 174 of the
maser's service manual.

The 5065A is showing occasional phase jumps on the order of 10-100 ps that
coincide with small spikes in the current drawn by the lamp exciter, and I'm
leaning towards blaming the silver-mica B-E feedback capacitor.  (It even
has the same designation in both instruments' service manuals, C2.)

Tom: this is why your BVA was appearing to jump when I measured it. :-P

-- john, KE5FX