[time-nuts] Timing Distribution in Mountainous Terrain

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Thu Sep 9 18:48:24 UTC 2010

On Sep 9, 2010, at 10:42, "Ralph Smith" <ralph at ralphsmith.org> wrote:

> Paranoia. People making the requirements are concerned with GPS going away
> due to solar flare or some other reason.

Hmm... So the decision makers think that after a solar flare or "some other reason" (hostile destruction of the birds, perhaps?) takes out the GPS system, it'll be back up and running within six days? That sounds optimistic to me.

It sounds to me more like you would need to function indefinitely without GPS, and just use GPS for initial position survey and as a convenient way to synchronize to external time reference (with ground-based backup methods in place and periodically tested).