[time-nuts] Timing Distribution in Mountainous Terrain

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Fri Sep 10 03:02:27 UTC 2010

Loran?

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: time-nuts-bounces at febo.com [mailto:time-nuts-bounces at febo.com] On
Behalf Of Mark J. Blair
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2010 1:48 PM
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Timing Distribution in Mountainous Terrain

On Sep 9, 2010, at 10:42, "Ralph Smith" <ralph at ralphsmith.org> wrote:

> Paranoia. People making the requirements are concerned with GPS going
> away due to solar flare or some other reason.

Hmm... So the decision makers think that after a solar flare or "some other
reason" (hostile destruction of the birds, perhaps?) takes out the GPS
system, it'll be back up and running within six days? That sounds optimistic
to me.

It sounds to me more like you would need to function indefinitely without
GPS, and just use GPS for initial position survey and as a convenient way to
synchronize to external time reference (with ground-based backup methods in
place and periodically tested).