[time-nuts] Timing Distribution in Mountainous Terrain

Ralph Smith ralph at ralphsmith.org
Fri Sep 10 21:04:31 UTC 2010

OK, stop me if this is really stupid. The initial site is in Colorado.
Would it be possible to use WWV? In particular:

1) Lock a reference to the carrier of one of the WWV signals
2) Generate PPS off of WWV-locked reference
3) Periodically send difference of GPSDO PPS and WWV-locked PPS home,
along with GPS lock indication
4) When GPS goes away do the math at home and correct for the timing drift
of the GPSDO compared to WWV-locked reference

There are probably several fatal flaws with this approach. In particular,
the following are required:
1) Ability to maintain constant lock to WWV
2) Common-mode error. Will the propagation from WWV be similar enough for
all stations to it be a practical common reference.
3) Adequate resolution. Even if, for some reason 1 and 2 are possible,
would the result be good enough to use.

Like I say, probably completely unworkable, but what are your thoughts?

Ralph