[time-nuts] Upgrading old Thunderbolt?

David Martindale dave.martindale at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 19:49:13 UTC 2010

Suppose I have an old Thunderbolt that works, but has the old Piezo
OCXO.  Is it feasible to upgrade it "in place" by obtaining one of the
newer Trimble oscillators from somewhere (or something equally good
that fits mechanically)?  Does the Trimble OCXO need different
operating parameters than the Piezo one (e.g. gain)?

(I have seen John Miles' page
<http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/tbolt.htm> that describes replacing the
old OCXO with a HP 10811.  But that won't fit in the original case and
requires an extra power supply voltage.  If I need to buy a better
OCXO anyway, why not one that fits the available space and operates
from the available power?)

Or would it just make sense to buy a more recent Thunderbolt for $200?

     Dave