[time-nuts] Observations and opinions needed on graph by new nut

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Thu Aug 4 02:19:57 UTC 2011

Hi John,

You are quite correct !  In researching this WWVB receiver for Paul, it turns out
that Spectracom just got way too complicated with their design making it a very
hard circuit to work on for the uninitiated.  Really, the design was done as part
of a total system of which the 8165 (and its cousins) are just one part.  If it
were just a simple WWVB receiver, it almost would not have any parts inside.

Paul's graph is viewing the difference between a GPs and the high quality
oscillator in the 8165 via an external comparator.  The graph depicts variations
that show erratic behavior that would not be expected, even from the FLL
implementation.  Of course, the comparator gain is magnifying the issue to a
certain extent, but the graph indicates a possible problem with the 8165.  Initial
indications are pointing somewhere other then the Ovenaire oscillator at the
moment.

Bill....WB6BNQ