[time-nuts] Archiving Data

Justin Pinnix justin at fuzzythinking.com
Fri Jan 7 23:30:47 UTC 2011

Brooke,

I disagree.  Hard drive sizes have done nothing but soar over the last
30 years.  So, even if you have to replace them every 10 years, you
only have to buy 1/10th the number of drives every decade.

This is exactly my data retention strategy.  Every time I get a new
computer, I copy my data files from the old one to the new one.  I
still have stuff on my hard drive from the 1980s, but it takes up such
a tiny amount of space I don't care.  I have to back it up, of course,
but I back up to another hard drive (stored offline and offsite).
I've tried tapes before, but the only thing that can "keep up" with
drive growth and speed is another drive.

Paper - I lose that stuff within a matter of hours of getting it!  :-)

Thanks,
-JP