[time-nuts] Z3801A EFC Error

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Jul 10 14:38:30 UTC 2011

I'm getting my two trusty Z3801As up and running after 18 months of
downtime and a 500 mile move.  Unit #1 came up just fine.

Unit #2 has been running for about 18 hours and is working OK except
that the health status is showing an EFC error.  The EFC value is above
1e6 (currently 1014166) and is trending downward, though the trend has
leveled off in the last several hours.  I suspect that the health
monitor error comes on to indicate that EFC is near the end of its
range; if I query for relative EFC, it comes up at about 93% so perhaps
the trigger is 90%.

Other than the EFC error in the health monitor, the unit seems to be
working fine.  LEDs show normal activity, the Oven PWR and OCXO health
status are both OK, and after initial alignment the PPS seems to be
holding within a handful of nanoseconds.  (I'm using GPSCON for tracking.)

It's possible that the EFC could keep trending downward as the unit
stabilizes, and if that continues to be the direction there should be no
problem.  But if it starts to go up, I'll run out of tuning room soon.
Assuming there's no other hardware problem, I'd think the normal way to
address this would be to twiddle the oscillator's coarse frequency
trimmer to get it centered in the tuning range.

Before I tear into the box, is there a coarse frequency adjustment
accessible on the dual-oven 10811?  If that's not an option, any other
suggestions on what might be going wrong and how to cure it?

John