[time-nuts] GPS interference and history...

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Fri Jun 10 04:03:31 UTC 2011

Jason wrote:

>So back to my original question (I didn't mean to spark such a debate)...
>
>These 40,000 transmitter towers... Are they merely talking about
>attaching their antennas on existing cell towers or totally new
>deployment?

What difference does it make?  They will certainly want to cover the
country by descending population density, just like all the other
carriers.  Thus, whether they use existing towers or build new ones,
their signals will be distributed the same as all the others.

To answer your question, they will almost certainly do both -- lease
space on existing towers/buildings/etc. as they can, and build where
they must.  Building takes longer because of the land use issues
(zoning, permitting, etc.), and LS is under the gun to get the
network deployed fast because of commitments they made to the FCC to
get their waivers.

Best regards,

Charles