[time-nuts] Advice on NTP server needed

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 13 22:25:54 UTC 2011

This is raising an interesting point, only vaguely relevant, but we have
been
testing some software for amateur radio astronomy purposes that controls
intruments over serial lines RS-232 or RS-485. Whilst many application run
with out problems for days on internal serial cards, we seem unable to find
any USB to serial converter that performs anywhere near as well.on our
loopback tests. Many of the fail rates suggest that slower speeds give a
longer period between errors, but with one well-known converter we could not
run at all at 57.6kB. This may not be too much of a problem with GPS control
program speeds but it would seem there are few totally reliable products. It
may be much more serious for NTP operations.

Of the USB converters the best seemed to use the FTDI chip and driver, but
even
these have shown fails suggesting the problem is deeper inside the PC. All
problems have been on the PC reception leg, causing corruption, and often
what seemed like a driver disconnection so the "serial port" became
disconnected from the application, and required the app restarting.

Alan G3NYK