[time-nuts] usb serial converter (was: Advice on NTP server needed)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Jun 13 22:36:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 23:25:54 +0100
"Alan Melia" <alan.melia at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Of the USB converters the best seemed to use the FTDI chip and driver, but
> even
> these have shown fails suggesting the problem is deeper inside the PC. All
> problems have been on the PC reception leg, causing corruption, and often
> what seemed like a driver disconnection so the "serial port" became
> disconnected from the application, and required the app restarting.

What OS have you been using? If it's windows, then blame the
windows usb serial driver. It's the biggest piece of sh*** i've
seen in a long time in the driver world. It is even able to
freeze the machine without blue screen. Reliably.

On the other hand, i am running an FTDI based usb-serial converter
at home on a linux box to monitor another system. I did not have
any problems at all in the year i use it. And given that the system
runs 24/7 the slightes problem resulting in a disconnect should have
shown up until now.

			Attila Kinali

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?