[time-nuts] Low noise power supply recommendations

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 23:46:42 UTC 2011

I was just looking at battery noise last week.   I assume you need low
noise, not good regulation. If so then in practical terms, I think the
best thing you could do is get an 8 cell battery holder for AA cells
then connect a 220 uF capacitor across it.

This is pretty good. has test results for several power supplies
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/regulators_noise1_e.html

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Will Matney <xformer at citynet.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am in need of a very clean 24 Vdc power source, to replace some old
> mercury cell batteries with. What would a good low noise, clean, power
> supply be in your recommendations? I thought of using two 12 Vdc lead-acid
> batteries in series, and making a charging circuit with regulators, but I
> am hoping to purchase a good used supply off ebay, etc. The old circuit
> used two 12 Vdc snap terminal mercury batteries in series, for 24 Vdc,
> along with a 7 Vdc mercury cell, and two plain AA carbon 1.5 Vdc batteries
> in series for 3 volts. Any help and or ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Will

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California