[time-nuts] Low noise power supply recommendations

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Wed Jun 15 00:05:30 UTC 2011

Chirs,

No, actually, I need both. They used the mercury battery over its ability
to hold the voltage steady over its charged cycle, which was something they
did pretty well. It's a shame they've really not made anything to match
them yet, except I've heard of folks using Lithium in their place. I think
when they banned mercury cells, it helped with the slow death of Burgess
battery, since they produced a good majority of them.

The only battery supply that wouldn't have had good regulation, would have
been the 3 volt supply using the two AA batteries. The 7 volt, and the 24
volt both used the mercury types. Actually, I think they used 12 and 24 Vdc
off the two large mercuries, using the center tap for the 12 volt.

This is the supply for a very precise Vishay bridge measuring network. They
used a standard line power supply for everything but the supplies feeding
the bridge itself. The batteries gave a clean supply voltage, and the
mercury type batteries gave the regulation over standard carbon, etc..

I'll take a look at the link on the supplies, and thaks for that.

Thanks,

Will