[time-nuts] 60 Hz measurement party

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jun 26 02:04:49 UTC 2011

magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org said:
> It could be interesting just to monitor the phase of the L1, L2 and L3
> phases of the house. :)

Is 3 phase standard in (some/most/?) European homes?

In the US, houses and small businesses get 120/240.  That's 3 wires, 240
single phase, center tap, with the center called neutral and connected to
earth/ground.  High power things like stoves and dryers run on 240.  Most
things like lights and TVs run on 120.  As long as the 120 load is balanced
there is no current in the neutral so the losses in the line from pole to
house are based on a 240 load rather than 120.  (1/4, for the same size wire)

You have to use a lot more power than a typical house to get 3 phase.  Here
are PG&E's rules:
  http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_RULES_2.pdf