[time-nuts] 60 Hz measurement party

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Sun Jun 26 02:21:42 UTC 2011

I wish we had three phase everywhere, including our homes. If one wants to
run anything like a lathe or mill of any size, we have to use converters,
or starters (static converters). When I had my shop, I contacted AEP about
installing three phase, and the cost of the transformer bank alone was
enough for me. I installed a rotary converter, which I home-brewed, made
from a surplus 25 Hp, 3 Ph. motor, and a 120 volt, 1 ph. pony motor to
start it rolling. The so-called static converters are nothing but a starter
using capacitors, and when they drop out, you lose 1/3 of the power you
should have from the motor. The other route, you pick up the third phase
from the converter motors winding.

Best,

Will

On 6/25/2011 at 7:04 PM Hal Murray wrote:

>magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org said:
>> It could be interesting just to monitor the phase of the L1, L2 and L3
>> phases of the house. :)
>
>Is 3 phase standard in (some/most/?) European homes?
>
>In the US, houses and small businesses get 120/240.  That's 3 wires, 240
>single phase, center tap, with the center called neutral and connected to
>earth/ground.  High power things like stoves and dryers run on 240.  Most
>things like lights and TVs run on 120.  As long as the 120 load is
balanced
>there is no current in the neutral so the losses in the line from pole to
>house are based on a 240 load rather than 120.  (1/4, for the same size
wire)

>You have to use a lot more power than a typical house to get 3 phase.
Here