[time-nuts] 60 Hz measurement party

Morris Odell vilgotch at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 27 11:18:26 UTC 2011

> > That sounds like a recipe for excitement - DC current into seawater
> should generate hydrogen on one and and oxygen on the other electrode.
> At 3000 amps, rather a lot of it.
> >

> I imagine they keep the current density low enough that the gas is
> absorbed into the water as it's evolved.  But yes.. a fascinating
> concept.
**********************

Actually if you electrolyse salt water with DC you get Hydrogen & Chlorine
at the electrodes and sodium hydroxide dissolved in the water. That's how
salt water pool chlorinators work and why the pool get progressively
alkaline and needs to have hydrochloric acid added regularly to make up for
what's released by electrolytic action. Hopefully if it gets released in the
ocean the Cl2 gets reabsorbed quickly and the caustic soda gets diluted or
buffered. The H2 would end up in the atmosphere as it's not very water
soluble.

I love this thread on the old style large synchronous motors. My first
engineering job was in a paper mill where they had quite a few of them on
various machines including the Ward Leonard sets that controlled the paper
machines. We were continually tweaking the excitation to try and get the
overall power factor down...

Morris