[time-nuts] 60 Hz measurement party

William H. Fite omniryx at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 13:38:23 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 7:18 AM, Morris Odell <vilgotch at bigpond.net.au>wrote:

> I love this thread on the old style large synchronous motors. My first
> engineering job was in a paper mill where they had quite a few of them on
> various machines including the Ward Leonard sets that controlled the paper
> machines. We were continually tweaking the excitation to try and get the
> overall power factor down...
>
> Morris

That sure brought back memories.  I grew up in a little town with a large
paper mill and I well remember, as a pre-teen, admiring the huge motors that
powered the Fourdrinier machines and listening as the tour guide explained
that they were synchronous motors and kept the machines running at a
constant speed.  Also exciting and mysterious were the enormous Jordan
machines that reduced the size of pulp fibers.  Giant, rapidly-spinning
cones (driven by really big DC motors) that made a sound like all the flying
saucers on Mars landing at once.