[time-nuts] Win 7 and Thunderbolt

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Sun May 15 20:06:25 UTC 2011

Hi,

It seems a Microsoft fixation that anything that puts streams on the
serial port is a Microsoft Serial Ballpoint (I bet you've never seen
one) since any version I remember. I don't think that the application
version makes any difference. If the application has open the port
before the data stream is present, Windows will not try to autodetect
anything in it, but if the serial stream is present and no application
has open the serial port, and specially if the stream is present when
Windows is starting, it will "smartly" interpret is as the infamous
ballpoint. The solution has ever been to disable it, from Windows 95 I
think.

Regards,

Javier