[time-nuts] Those pesky Neutrinos again...

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sun Nov 20 20:53:47 UTC 2011

In message <4EC95F99.80202 at rubidium.dyndns.org>, Magnus Danielson writes:
>On 11/20/2011 08:55 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>It seems that nature has something to teach us. A whole bunch of new
>physics have something new to work on. :)

One of the really interesting things about neutrions is that nuclear
reactors emit a lot of anti-neutrinos.

When I learned physics, neutrinos were assumed mass-less, and
whatever interactions with matter they had, were probably "accidental"
rather than "by nature".  The standard way to deal with them, was
to just ignore them, as they could be "safely ignored".

As a result of this "everybody knows" assumption, any and all studies
about cancer and other health-issues from living close to nuclear
reactors have totally ignored the anti-neutrinoes, which are as
intense as the solar neutrinos if you are close to a reactor.

Now neutrinoes probably have a bit of mass, and they do interact
with matter in a biologically very nasty "one step to the side in
the periodic table" way, which can wreck havoc if they damage RNA/DNA
(C->N, N->O, O->F, P->S).

Suddenly the barely perceptible child-leukemia over-population
really close to reactors has a plausible physical explanation.

But nobody in the radiation-health business looks at this, because
they were all educated many years ago, and just "know" that neutrinos
can be "safely ignored".

As long as you live more than a km away from the reactor, you and
your children should be prefectly safe.