[time-nuts] Symmetricom TimeSource 2700

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Tue Nov 22 05:33:16 UTC 2011

Kevin wrote:

>The reason for my posts about its internals is to see if it can do more that
>what it advertises. Things like a unused cutout in the case with the label
>"GPS" on the inside and a BTMon error message about "PPS too high"
>makes me wonder what the TS2700 can do beyond what's documented.

The TS2500 was a very similar unit that received its timing signals
from GPS.  I assume they were built on the same case, hence the spare
chassis hole (and perhaps also some features in BTMon that are not
used by the TS2700).

>When I get the Rb back inside the TS2700, I look to see if any
>signals are coming
>out of the DE-9F connector labelled as "TOD" on the case. The PDF
>manual labels
>that connector as "Not used." As the BTMon software has a "TOD" option where
>one can choose "Cisco" or "NTP" makes me think that there is a precision PPS
>signal somewhere on the circuit board. With the error message of
>"Not implemented"
>when one chooses "Cisco" or "NTP", my suspicion is output on the TOD connector
>wasn't completed in firmware. But, perhaps a precision PPS will even
>be present
>on one of the TOD connector's 9 pins. I look forward to further investigation.

Yes, please report your findings on the TOD connector.  That
connector, and the corresponding feature in the BTMon software, could
apply only to versions of the TS2700 with an optional TOD function,
or, more likely, to the TS2500 or other model built on the same
chassis/motherboard.  It will be interesting to see if there is any
data there in a TS2700.

Best regards,

Charles