[time-nuts] Symmetricom TimeSource 2700

Kevin Rosenberg kevin at rosenberg.net
Tue Nov 22 20:41:42 UTC 2011

On Nov 21, 2011, at 10:33 PM, Charles P. Steinmetz wrote:
> The TS2500 was a very similar unit that received its timing signals from GPS.  I assume they were built on the same case, hence the spare chassis hole (and perhaps also some features in BTMon that are not used by the TS2700).

I appreciate that information. It makes such observations less mysterious.

> Yes, please report your findings on the TOD connector.  That connector, and the corresponding feature in the BTMon software, could apply only to versions of the TS2700 with an optional TOD function, or, more likely, to the TS2500 or other model built on the same chassis/motherboard.  It will be interesting to see if there is any data there in a TS2700.

I took apart the 3 boards of the TS2700. It's really a very beautifully constructed device.
Pins on the TOD connector are connected to two MAX490Es (RS-422/485 transceivers). Likely some
TOD data is present on TOD connector.

I reassembled the TS2700 enough it turn it back on with the Rb.
Using BTMon and selecting NTP or Cisco for the TOD, the actual error
message affirms your assumption. The message is "Incompatible Target Revision,
Cannot Configure TOD". I hadn't realized that BTMon was used for other
devices.

I found labelled test points for 200 Hz, 4 Hz, and 2 Hz on the logic board.
I didn't find any pins labelled 1 Hz or PPS.

Kevin