[time-nuts] Subject: Listening to the List Owner

Peter Gottlieb nerd at verizon.net
Wed Sep 21 12:07:30 UTC 2011

Here, I'll top post this, and explain why.  It is frequently very difficult to
follow a complex thread due to different indentings, split up messages, some
groups not accepting HTML (like Yahoo's intermittent problems), and just plain
efficiency.  I have frequently missed points because I didn't spend time to comb
through a long thread to see a few words of response buried deep in the
message.  I also get a rather large volume of mail, much of which has a pretty
low SNR.  The quickest, most efficient method in my experience is to top post
when there is a single point to communicate.  Obviously, if you want to cover
many points of a long message, then it makes sense to be inserting the comments
in the proper locations, so you will see me doing that when appropriate.

Besides, what is more important:  the ideas someone has, or their posting
style?  When the posting style becomes more important in a group than the ideas,
I find that's usually not the place for me (and I know there are many others who
share that sentiment, it's far from original).  I suspect we can all easily
adapt to either, both, or an as-appropriate mix of posting styles.

Peter