[time-nuts] Tek high voltage probes

NeonJohn jgd at neon-john.com
Thu Sep 22 17:34:33 UTC 2011

On 09/21/2011 04:57 AM, David C. Partridge wrote:
> Howsabout HFC-236fa - very similar properties to R114 but not banned.

>> Tektronix used a Freon in their 40 KV High Voltage probes. The Vapor
>> pressure of some of those compounds is low at 70F, but they do have to
>> be sealed.

I use several of the Tek probes in my work (and of course am too cheap
to buy the newer solid dielectric ones).  When my freon ran out, I
searched around for a replacement fluid and found ordinary butane
straight from the Ronsonol can to be equal to or maybe even better than
the original freon.

About a decade ago I wrote up a procedure on how to do the fill without
introducing condensate into the chamber.  I posted it to Usenet.  I
think that it's archived at http://yarchive.net.

John

--
John DeArmond