[time-nuts] Thoughts on lightning protection measures....

MailLists lists at medesign.ro
Thu Apr 12 15:22:02 UTC 2012

You're right, but it's highly depending on the used construction
materials... The building I live in, is quite like a Faraday cage -
reinforced concrete. Even higher frequency radio signals have a tough
time entering, mostly through the windows.
What I wanted to underline is that, even if the house would be build
like a Faraday cage, any conductor from the outside represents a
potential dangerous ingress path.

Of course, the generated fields would affect any sensitive equipment,
but with the low impedance path of an antenna cable, even the less
sensitive ones could suffer catastrophic failure. Not to neglect are all
the other conductors entering from the outside - power lines, metallic
pipes, etc.
"Full protection" is quite difficult, almost impossible, to obtain, but
an antenna cable is the preferred path.