[time-nuts] Thoughts on lightning protection measures....

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Thu Apr 12 16:40:40 UTC 2012

Hi

The lightning hit is both a great big voltage and a wallop of current. The
voltage is the thing many people get worried about. Almost all of the damage
I've had has come from current induced into near by conductors and similar
magnetic field issues.

That said, the voltage spike has likely jumped several hundred feet to get
into the vicinity of your house. Hopping from this to that while trying to
run through the house is trivial compared to the distance it's already
traveled.

There are indeed ways to take care of this stuff. Some systems are set up
for a "how many strikes per hour" type of operation. They do indeed run
properly in a high hit rate environment. You do *not* want to foot the cost
for an installation like that. Having the (insured) house burn down is much
cheaper ....

Bob