[time-nuts] WWVB relative field strength graph

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Thu Apr 12 17:51:52 UTC 2012

Over at http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/wwvbmonitor_e.cgi there is a "relative field
strength" plot for each of the monitoring stations.  I'm trying to correlate
LaCrosse with my own measurements in St. Paul (AGC voltage in my Spectracom
8164) and it's very bothersome that this graph has no scale and no origin.  The
unit is said to be uV/m.  Does anyone here happen to know what the evident top
rail value is?  It often hits it during the dark-path period.  And the magnitude
of a vertical tick?  I suppose it's logarithmic.

The 8164 manual says that AGC 2.0V corresponds to 100uV/m at a properly oriented
antenna.

I got both the 8170 and the 8164 going last night, after finding the other 8206
antenna[1], still mounted in the attic of the garage.  So I have one outdoors
(in the back yard, up 10 feet on a PVC pipe), but with a long and maybe lossy
feed line, and the other one nearby but indoors.  Today they both seem quite
happy (AGC 1.3V), even though LaCrosse is "unreadable".

[1] "Engine #3 found on right wing after brief search."